The Ludwigsburg bailiwick, the nucleus of today's county, is created after Ludwigsburg is founded as a princely residence. This is at the expense of the Württemberg bailiwicks of Marbach and Markgröningen. The head of the administration of the 'Oberamt', the upper bailiwick, was the Stadtvogt or town magistrate, from 1759 it was the Oberamtmann or chief bailiff.
The "Calwer Amtshaus" (Marktplatz 8, the Evangelical Church District Office today) serves as the 'Oberamtei' or central administrative office for the next 150 years.
The central administrative offices in the Kingdom of Württemberg (forerunner of the counties) are restructured; among other things, the Markgröningen 'Amt' becomes part of the Ludwigsburg 'Amt'.
1 January 1852:
The Oberamtssparkasse (Bailiwick Savings Bank) is founded for the Upper Bailiwick of Ludwigsburg.
The centrail administrative office of Ludwigsburg is located at Eberhardstr. 1.
After the First World War, the Oberamt faces new tasks, in particular social tasks. A county welfare office (the social welfare office today) is formed that replaces the old system of community welfare for the poor.
30 January 1934:
The upper bailiwicks in Württemberg are reclassified as counties.
1 October 1938:
The 61 counties in Württemberg are reduced to 34 counties and 3 municipal districts. The predominant parts of the counties of Besigheim, Marbach and Ludwigsburg are merged into the new county of Ludwigsburg. The map below shows the allocation of towns and municipalities to the old 'Oberämter'.
The end of the Second World War and the immigration of refugees and displaced persons presents the County District Office with new tasks. The 1950 census counts 186,007 inhabitants.
The newly constructed building at Stuttgarter Str. 53 (now the Employment Agency) is occupied as a County District Office building.
1 January 1973:
The county of Ludwigsburg achieves its present form. Half of the county of Vaihingen (Eberdingen, Oberriexingen, various districts of today's Sachsenheim, Sersheim, Vaihingen/Enz) and municipalities in the counties of Leonberg (Ditzingen, Gerlingen, Hemmingen, Korntal-Münchingen), Backnang (Affalterbach, Rielingshausen) and Heilbronn (Gronau) are also included.
The County District Office in Hindenburgstr. 40 is occupied.
The county and ten municipalities found the Kleeblatt Pflegeheime gGmbH.
1 July 1989:
The county's Waste Recycling Corporation (AVL) is founded as a 100% subsidiary of the county and is responsible for the prevention, recycling and disposal of waste.
1 January 1994:
The clinics of the county and the town of Bietigheim-Bissingen merge to form Clinics Ludwigsburg-Bietigheim gGmbH.
1 July 1995:
The Special Authorities Integration Act integrates the State Health Office, parts of the Water Management Office and the State Veterinary Office into the County District Office.
1 January 2005:
The Administrative Structure Reform Act makes other state authorities part of the County District Office (e.g. forestry office, trade inspectorate, agricultural office, road construction office, surveying office, food inspectors). The school authority, which has also been integrated, will become an independent state authority again in 2009.
The SGB II working group with the Federal Employment Agency is founded.
1 January 2007:
The Orthopaedic Clinic Markgröningen gGmbH is acquired by Clincis Ludwigsburg-Bietigheim gGmbH.
The extension of the County District Office (Hindenburgstr. 30) is occupied.
1 January 2012
The county of Ludwigsburg takes over, as certified local carrier (option municipality), the responsibility of basic security benefits for job seekers in accordance with Social Law Code II (SGB II).
The second extension of the County District Office (Hindenburgstr. 30/1) is occupied.
The new branch of the County District Office in Besigheim (Kronenstr. 1) is opened.